Monday 26 September 2016

Stashbusting: 1920s top

Since I had a ton of fabric left over from making my bodice blocks, I thought I'd dip back into that well again.


This is the 1920s tie top from Sew Over It Vintage. I keep looking for ways introduce 20s stuff to my wardrobe despite the fact that it doesn't suit my body at all, so obviously this was the first thing in the book that I was drawn to. 

I did make a few alterations. The instructions tell you to eliminate the underarm curve entirely for a looser fit, which I didn't do (though I did make it slightly looser than my original block). I also put in a couple of small pleats at the waistline instead of gathering it.


The instructions for making the pattern tell you to cut two pairs of the hem band, so I did, but reading on further reveals that you only actually need one pair. It also reveals that the hem band isn't actually meant to be a hem band, just another panel, and you do a turn-and-stitch hem on it at the end. Since I already had the extra pieces I decided not to do that and just made a hem band. If I can alter a pattern so as not to need to finish an exposed seam, I will do. However, I did end up turning and hand stitching the neckline instead of adding a band because this material did NOT want to be a neck band. It refused to do most of the things I wanted it to do and I began to understand why it was only £1 per metre.



I really like the concept of this top, but I'm not sure it'll get much wear. That may be because I haven't got the fit the way I like it, or just because it won't go with a whole lot. I'm still determined to make the 1920s work for me somehow, and there will be more of this coming very soon. I shall find a way to make myself into a somewhat chubbier version of Miss Fisher. I shall.


This is what we call "determined face".

No comments:

Post a Comment