Tuesday 18 August 2015

kimononess

In my continuing quest to find a replacement for Zombie Hoodie, I signed up to Sew Over It's kimono jacket class and made a pretty blue thing:


This project was quite straightforward. The class ran from 10am - 5pm, and I spent a good two hours of it finishing my sleeves, collar and hems by hand, because I'm swanky like that. It's the kind of thing I could have done on my own without a class, but I'm glad I went because now that I've done it, my fear of overlockers is gone. I've used them a few times before, but the voice in my head yelling "OH MY GOD there's a BLADE and it's KILLING my fabric it's going to EAT IT ALL" made them... somewhat intimidating. But the instructor was great, and now that I have a better understanding of how they work and how best to negotiate tricky bits, I'm not nearly so afraid of using one again. 


The fabric is a lightweight viscose that feels lovely, but as you might have spotted, wrinkles extremely easily. So it's not going to be the kind of thing I can ball up in a bag just in case, like Zombie Hoodie is. The search continues. 


It's great for spinning in, though. 


...and possibly it smells? I have no idea what I was going for here. 

Oh, hey, remember that "dancing like an idiot" thing?


Well, here's me doing the Charleston in an outfit that really doesn't go together (but all handmade!) to a medley of songs from Mary Poppins. 


You're welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment