Sunday 16 August 2015

hold me closer, tiny jumper

(...sorry).



This is my first attempt at making something from Gertie Sews Vintage Casual. I knew this was going to be the first thing I attempted because "cropped jumper" was near the top of my list of actual useful things I could make, and had I not bought the book I was planning to buy a stand-alone pattern for one.



This fabric is a £2.99 remnant I got during one of my bargain bin sprees. It's pretty, but it's also pretty thin. Given that this pattern is intended to be really tight and stretchy, it gets a bit indecent around the boob area. So I consider this to be my sort-of-wearable toile.



All the patterns in Gertie's book are printed and stored in an envelope at the back. The patterns are double-sided and sometimes have smaller pieces printed inside larger ones, so it requires tracing. Which I think is fine, given that most of the book is dedicated to ways to take one pattern and vary it in different ways so that you can get several looks from one pattern. Somehow she turns a wrap dress pattern into a one-shoulder playsuit, and I still don't understand how but I think I'm going to have to try it, and then invent an occasion to wear a one-shoulder playsuit.



This one is a three-piece pattern with bands at the armholes and hemline. I've never done the banding thing before and these ones are functional if not particularly well inserted (I did not like working with this fabric and so was a bit sloppy about it). For future attempts at this I'll probably crop it a little bit further to fit better with the things I plan to wear it with. And also make it out of something less see-through. Ahem.


My flatmates left me in the studio alone with a camera and access to Youtube, so you'll be noticing a "dancing round like an idiot" theme in upcoming posts. Like this:


...except worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment