Monday 8 January 2018

dream projects for 2018

Happy New Year, lovely humans! So far 2018 has been grey and windy and wet and dark, which is not great, but I've also had Patrick home all week before he starts his new job, which means last minute matinee Hamilton tickets (people are correct, it's really good). For both those reasons, I haven't managed to take any project photos. I have a bunch of things to share so I'll get on that this week. In the meantime, I am in MAJOR planning mode for both sewing and life in general, so here's a very specific type of forward planning I've been working on.

I know a lot of people do Make Nine at the beginning of the year, and that is just not for me at all. Picking nine specific patterns at the beginning of the year would go one of two ways: I choose well, and everything's finished by March (making it just an extra seasonal plan), or I choose badly, and none of it gets made at all. It's just not worth it to me, even if it means missing out on hashtags and whatnot.

However, there is a type of year-long plan that might be of some use to me. I have a few ideas in my head, ranging from the quite vague to the extremely specific, that aren't tied to any pattern or fabric I've seen and thus can't really go on my three-month plans because three months is usually not enough time to find the right components. But then they're not on my list, so I tend to forget about them when I'm shopping and never get any closer to making them. If I put them on their own separate list, so that they're on my mind when I'm shopping but not tied to a time limit that might make me panic-buy stuff that isn't quite right, there might be more of a chance that I can make at least some of them.

So here is my list of "things I'm actively seeking to make this year, but might not happen because I'm not prepared to compromise and make something that's only sort of what I wanted". Snappy title there, Jen. Anyway:

- A leather/faux leather jacket. This is one of the time consuming projects I've resolved to make this year, and while I'm pretty sure there are loads of patterns for biker-style jackets, I haven't decided exactly what I want yet. I'm probably going with classic black, but am prepared to be swayed by an interesting bronze or similar if it comes my way.

- A black jumpsuit for eveningwear. I was heavily anti-jumpsuit until about four years ago, when I tried on a low-cut black surplice jumpsuit and realised it was the best thing I'd put on my body in quite some time. I bought that jumpsuit and still have it, but it doesn't currently fit. I'm not looking to clone it, but I would like to make a jumpsuit that's more on the sexy side than the casual side.

- The perfect "going away for three days" bag. Patrick and I quite often do short breaks, and I never know what to pack. I feel ridiculous taking a suitcase, but the couple of shoulder bags I've bought for the purpose have been way too unwieldy. I don't have a clue what style I'm looking for here, but I'd like to find it before the year is out.

- A pair of high-waisted trousers. I actually only realised as I was writing this one that I've internalised something I read as a rank beginner which said you only need one decently-fitting trouser pattern. Since the Thurlows fit me I haven't really looked at other patterns, even though honestly they're not really the vibe I'm going for. I would love a pair of high-waisted swishy trousers, and I think I'd wear trousers a lot more if I had some.

- A form-fitting dress. I want a dress that fits my hips but doesn't cling to my stomach, and I don't even know if that's possible. I'm pretty sure it isn't right now because yay medication-related weight gain, but even after I (hopefully) get that sorted out a bit I am never going to have a flat stomach. I don't even know where to start on this one, but it's something I want to bear in mind.

- THIS COAT:


I was browsing the Diane von Furstenberg website looking for inspiration, and after a few "oh cool, that's something I could think about" pieces, I stumbled upon this sea green suede trench coat and I WANT it. Since I could never actually buy it (£1000 in the half price sale and sold out in every size except extra small, hah), I want to copy it. I want this shape, this collar, these pockets, this waist tie, and most importantly I want this fabric. Basically my year's mission is to find this shade of sea green suede, or failing that, this shade of sea green fabric that can reasonably be made into a trench coat.

Those are basically my dream projects for the year, and I hope I can make at least one or two of them. For now, I'm going to return to making my camel coat and trying to force myself to get some pictures taken. Finished garment post coming next week, I promise.

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!!!

    I'm not into many hash-taggy challenges and the idea of calling out 9 garments in January feels the same to me as it does you. I have even reconsidered the SWAP because it's a December - April challenge and that's like eons for a wardrobe! LOL!

    I LOVE that coat! The color is magnificent.

    I will admit to getting a tad bit exasperated over the constant shouting that beginners find TNTs. Okay maybe that will work for SOME people but who wants to sew the same thing over and over? Because be real, as a beginner it's going to likely take some time before you're fully modifying patterns for design details. Sew the pants!!!

    I want a weekend bag too! I have only attempted to make zipper pouches and have done so extremely poorly. The idea of making a bag sounds fun but like I'd foul it all up.

    I almost bought some faux leather backed in shearling (in black!!) and wanted it for the Style Arc Carly Aviator. But then I realized I wanted to SEW THAT PROJECT not necessarily own that coat.

    Sounds like a really great plan for the year! And, yay Hamilton!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally haven't seen anyone finish more than half their Make Nine projects. I quite like challenges, but I don't want to pay lip service just for the sake of it, I want it to actually benefit my sewing in some way, you know?

      The TNT thing is kind of exasperating. On the one hand, fitting is hard work and it's really nice to have things that you know work (especially with trousers), but on the other hand there's a whole world of patterns out there! I will have my swishy trousers this year, I'm sure - there must be a ton of patterns for that.

      Delete
  2. The coat is awesome! I remember finding Minerva Crafts was good for (fake) suede fabric last time I was looking for some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! No sea green there at the moment, but I'll keep checking!

      Delete